For over 30 years, the Danish American Cultural Retreat (DACR) (previously known as the Danish Cultural Conference) has been held at a beautiful facility in Corbett, Oregon for three days in June.
The cultural conference and retreat provides an annual opportunity to learn about Denmark and its links to the U.S., today and in the past. A rich program is presented to illustrate the significance of Denmark on the global stage.
DACR 2017: June 23rd to June 25th
The registration period for DACR 2017 is now open. Register by JUNE 1st! Register and pay online here:
The 2017 program features:
- Women of Vinland (Dr. Elisabeth Ward, previous Director of the Scandinavian Cultural Center)
- Updates on the Museum of Danish America with focus on the current exhibition on iconic Danish artist, Bjørn Wiinblad (Rasmus Thøgersen, Executive Director of the Museum of Danish America)
- Danish folk high school tradition, Grundtvig, and the development of democracy (Kristian Næsby, Visiting Danish lecturer, University of Washington Scandinavian Studies Department)
- Icelandic manuscripts (Dr. Elisabeth Ward, previous Director of the Scandinavian Cultural Center)
- Heroes of the Danish Reformation (this year is the 500th anniversary of the Reformation) (Pastor Birgitte Saltorp, Danish Church of Vancouver)
- Medieval life in Denmark (Pastor Birgitte Saltorp, Danish Church of Vancouver)
- Danish aviation pioneer, Jacob Ellehammer (Henry Geijsbeek, Boeing)
- Discussion of the book, The Red Umbrella, on life during WWII through the eyes of a Danish Jewish little girl (Dave Christensen, Christensen Design Management)
Evening Entertainment: Flemming O. Behrend, Local Danish Folk Singer
For more information, highlights and scheduled sessions for this year’s retreat can be found in the DACR 2017 Brochure.
Thank you to our 2017 DACR sponsor, the University of Washington Center for West European Studies!
To Register for the 2017 DACR:
Reservations are required.
Regular Prices Per Person
|Conference Registration||Non-Member Fee||NWDA Member or Student Fee|
|Friday Only or Sunday Only||$210||$185|
Lodging (For full conference- 2 Nights Included!)
|Private Room (sleeps 1-3 people)||$340 PER ROOM|
|Semi-private (may include up to 6 people with a bath)||$115 per person|
|Dorm (may include up to 8 people with bath down the hall)||$65 per person|
Watch for mailed postcards, website information, The Little Mermaid, and e-bulletin announcements, or call the NWDA office 206-523-3263 for more information.
To receive updates on DACR and other NWDA programs, events, and activities, sign up for our e-bulletin mailing list.
Menucha Retreat and Conference Center
The beautiful grounds at Menucha have so much to offer, including panoramic views, hiking trails, fireplaces, courts for a variety of sports, and much more. You won’t want to miss this annual cultural getaway!
For a detailed account of last year’s program, read the article on page 5 in Volume 1 of Issue #2016/2017 of The Little Mermaid.
A Pacific Northwest tradition for over 30 years:
The NWDA’s Danish Cultural Conference has been held at Menucha Retreat & Conference Center in Corbett, Oregon for over 30 years. Enjoy a look back at highlights from previous DCC experiences, then find out about this years program and register for this fun event!
Take a look at our gallery for photos from previous years.