The Danish American Cultural Retreat (DACR) is an annual cultural conference and retreat by Northwest Danish Association. A rich program is presented to illustrate the significance of Denmark on the global stage. The retreat also provides an annual opportunity to learn about Denmark and its links to the U.S., today and in the past.
This tradition takes place three days each June at a beautiful facility in Corbett, Oregon. 2018 marks the 40th year of the Danish American Cultural Retreat (DACR) (previously known as the Danish Cultural Conference).
40th Annual DACR: June 22nd to June 24th 2018
Mark your calendars for this special tradition. Details will be announced soon.
2017 program features:
- Women of Vinland (Dr. Elisabeth Ward, previous Director of the Scandinavian Cultural Center)
- Updates on the Museum of Danish America with focus on the current exhibition on iconic Danish artist, Bjørn Wiinblad (Rasmus Thøgersen, Executive Director of the Museum of Danish America)
- Danish folk high school tradition, Grundtvig, and the development of democracy (Kristian Næsby, Visiting Danish lecturer, University of Washington Scandinavian Studies Department)
- Icelandic manuscripts (Dr. Elisabeth Ward, previous Director of the Scandinavian Cultural Center)
- Heroes of the Danish Reformation (this year is the 500th anniversary of the Reformation) (Pastor Birgitte Saltorp, Danish Church of Vancouver)
- Medieval life in Denmark (Pastor Birgitte Saltorp, Danish Church of Vancouver)
- Danish aviation pioneer, Jacob Ellehammer (Henry Geijsbeek, Boeing)
- Discussion of the book, The Red Umbrella, on life during WWII through the eyes of a Danish Jewish little girl (Dave Christensen, Christensen Design Management)
Evening Entertainment: Flemming O. Behrend, Local Danish Folk Singer
For more information, see the DACR 2017 Brochure.
Thank you to our 2017 DACR sponsor, the University of Washington Center for West European Studies!
Watch for mailed postcards, website information, The Little Mermaid, and e-bulletin announcements, or call the NWDA office 206-523-3263 for more information.
To receive updates on DACR and other NWDA programs, events, and activities, sign up for our e-bulletin mailing list.
Menucha Retreat and Conference Center
DACR is held at the Menucha Retreat and Conference Center in Corbett, Oregon. Menucha Retreat offers a variety of amenities and lodging options. Lodging options include rooms that are private, semi-private, or dormitory style.
The beautiful grounds at Menucha have so much to offer, including panoramic views, hiking trails, fireplaces, courts for a variety of sports, and much more. You won’t want to miss this annual cultural getaway!
Information from Previous Years
For a detailed account of DACR 2016, read the article on page 5 in Volume 1 of Issue #2016/2017 of The Little Mermaid.
A Pacific Northwest tradition for over 30 years:
The NWDA’s Danish Cultural Conference has been held at Menucha Retreat & Conference Center in Corbett, Oregon for over 30 years. Enjoy a look back at highlights from previous DCC experiences, then find out about this years program and register for this fun event!
Take a look at our gallery for photos from previous years.
Claus Windelev’s drawing and Facebook post about DACR 2015: