Join us for an educational weekend getaway at the annual Danish American Cultural Retreat (DACR) (previously known as DCC – the Danish Cultural Conference)! Learn, relax, and socialize in lush green surroundings with spectacular views.
2019 marked the 41st year of DACR – a true Pacific Northwest tradition! The event is held 3 days each summer at a beautiful facility overlooking the Columbia River Gorge.
- A rich program to illustrate the significance of Denmark on the global stage
- An annual opportunity to learn about Denmark and its links to the U.S., today and in the past
- Time to relax and enjoy delicious meals, good company, and breathtaking nature and views
Save the date: June 19th to 21st, 2020
Sign up for our e-bulletin for event updates.
Watch our DACR video: The Danish American Cultural Retreat
What DACR attendees are saying:
“The cultural retreat is one of the best events I have attended!” –Rasmus Thøgersen, CEO, Museum of Danish America, 2018
“It was so enjoyable in many ways, the program was interesting and diverse, the speakers were engaging, but even more so, the atmosphere was fun and friendly…“ -Georg and Nina Pedersen, 2018
“I enjoyed myself enormously and really appreciate the chance to attend.” -Ingrid Salmon, 2018
DACR Program Features:
- Museum of Danish America
- Nordic Museum
- Scan Design Foundation
- Embassy of Denmark, USA
- Novo Nordisk
- WWII and the Danish Resistance Movement -Author Nathaniel Hong
- Hans Christian Andersen -Dr. Marianne Stecher, UW Scandinavian Studies Professor and Head of UW Danish Program
- The Golden Era of Danish Silent Films -Kristian Næsby, UW Scandinavian Studies Visiting Danish lecturer
- Vikings in Denmark -Author William Sullivan
- Falck: Danish Emergency Services -Peter Jorna, Falck USA
- Danish Cheeses -Dr. Lisbeth Goddik, OSU Dairy Processing Extension Specialist and Associate Professor in Food Science
- Nimbus Motorcycles –Nimbus Motorcycle Club, USA
- Danish Defense Policies –Niels Ulrik Olsen, Royal Danish Embassy
- The Greenland Ice Sheet and Climate Change -Dr. Christina Hulbe, Porland State University
Learn or Practice Danish. DACR offers optional classes for those who would like to learn some Danish at the retreat! Many Danish speakers attend DACR allowing ample opportunities to speak the language.
Experience waterfalls and lush green surroundings at DACR. We take a field trip to one of the waterfalls each year and to the nearby vista house with spectacular views of the Columbia river.
Each year we have evening entertainment for guests to enjoy before ‘Kro Aften’. On Friday we celebrate Sankt Hans with snobrød and traditional Danish midsommer songs around the fire.
To wind down from all the daily activities, guests are invited to join us in the ‘Kro’ each evening for beer, wine, and bar snacks.
Friday check-in: Begins at 11:00 am followed by lunch at noon.
Friday programs: 1:00 pm to 10:00 pm
Saturday: 8:00 am to 10:00 pm
Sunday: 8:00 am to 1:30 pm
The Menucha Retreat and Conference Center
DACR is held at the Menucha Retreat and Conference Center in Corbett, Oregon. Menucha Retreat offers a variety of amenities and lodging options. Lodging options include rooms that are private, semi-private, or dormitory style.
The beautiful grounds at Menucha have so much to offer, including:
- Panoramic views
- A swimming pool and courts for a variety of sports
- Hiking trails, fire pits, and much more
Getting to DACR
The Menucha Retreat and Conference Center in Corbett is located right on the Washington-Oregon state border.
Approximate travel times:
- From Seattle: Less than 4 hours by car
- From Portland: 30 minutes by car
For those who need a ride from Seattle or Portland, we can help arrange carpools. Guests can also fly in to Portland International Airport. We can help arrange rides from the airport, if needed.
All meals are included in the conference fee. There are two meals on both Friday and Sunday. Saturday includes 3 meals. Authentic Danish pastries, snacks, coffee, and other refreshments are provided throughout the weekend. The conference fees also include beer and wine in the Kro!
Watch for mailed postcards, website information, The Little Mermaid, and e-bulletin announcements with updates! To receive the most up to date information on DACR and other NWDA programs, events, and activities, sign up for our e-bulletin mailing list.