The Danish American Cultural Retreat (DACR) is an annual cultural conference and retreat by Northwest Danish Association.
2019 marks the 41st year of DACR, a true Pacific Northwest tradition. The event is held 3 days each June at a beautiful facility in Oregon overlooking the Columbia River Gorge.
- A rich program to illustrate the significance of Denmark on the global stage
- An annual opportunity to learn about Denmark and its links to the U.S., today and in the past
- Time to relax and enjoy delicious meals, good company, and breathtaking nature and views
Save the date: June 21st to June 23rd 2019
Program details coming soon!
Scroll down to see information from previous years.
Sign up for our e-bulletin for event updates.
Take a Look Back at Previous Years:
The 40th Annual DACR
June 22nd to June 24th 2018
Location: Menucha Retreat and Conference Center, Corbett, Oregon
Click here to see the highlights DACR 2018 on Facebook.
See the program details here.
- Inga Wiehl, Book Talk- Tower Blues: Solving the Riddle of Confinement
- Eric Nelson, New Nordic Museum
- Marianne Stecher, Hans Christian Andersen – The Danish Soldier and the War of 1864
- Kristian Naesby, The Golden Era of Danish Silent Films
- Christian Holtz, Viking Navigation… How They Did It!
- Kyle Dittmer, Eldercare and Dementia – USA vs. Denmark
- For more details about each speaker and topic, see the DACR 2018 Program
Evening entertainment and more:
2018 evening entertainment: Danish sensation, Jessica Lynne! Optional Danish classes have also been added to the program.
Jessica Lynne: Sometimes authentic country music artists do not grow up in what we would consider hotbeds of country music. Sometimes they grow up in Haslev, Denmark, the native town of current Seattle resident, Jessica Lynne, a sensational and rising country star and one of London Tone Music’s most successful artists.
Danish classes by Aaase Beaulieu. Optional classes for those who would like to learn some Danish at the retreat!
2018 Conference Schedule
Friday check-in: Begins at 11:00 am followed by lunch at noon.
Friday programs: 1:00 pm to 10:00 pm
Saturday: 8:00 am to 10:00 pm
Sunday: 8:00 am to 1:30 pm
Thank you to our 2018 DACR sponsor: The University of Washington Center for West European Studies!
The Menucha Retreat and Conference Center
DACR is held at the Menucha Retreat and Conference Center in Corbett, Oregon. Menucha Retreat offers a variety of amenities and lodging options. Lodging options include rooms that are private, semi-private, or dormitory style.
The beautiful grounds at Menucha have so much to offer, including:
- Panoramic views
- A swimming pool and courts for a variety of sports
- Hiking trails, fire pits, and much more.
Getting to DACR
Menucha Retreat and Conference Center in Corbett is less than a four hour drive from Seattle and only a thirty minute drive from Portland. We help arrange carpools. Guests can also fly into Portland International Airport. We can help arrange rides from the airport, if needed.
Watch for mailed postcards, website information, The Little Mermaid, and e-bulletin announcements with updates! To receive the most up to date information on DACR and other NWDA programs, events, and activities, sign up for our e-bulletin mailing list.
Click here to see photos from the 2017 Danish American Cultural Retreat.
2017 program features:
- Women of Vinland (Dr. Elisabeth Ward, previous Director of the Scandinavian Cultural Center)
- Updates on the Museum of Danish America with focus on the current exhibition on iconic Danish artist, Bjørn Wiinblad (Rasmus Thøgersen, Executive Director of the Museum of Danish America)
- Danish folk high school tradition, Grundtvig, and the development of democracy (Kristian Næsby, Visiting Danish lecturer, University of Washington Scandinavian Studies Department)
- Icelandic manuscripts (Dr. Elisabeth Ward, previous Director of the Scandinavian Cultural Center)
- Heroes of the Danish Reformation (this year is the 500th anniversary of the Reformation) (Pastor Birgitte Saltorp, Danish Church of Vancouver)
- Medieval life in Denmark (Pastor Birgitte Saltorp, Danish Church of Vancouver)
- Danish aviation pioneer, Jacob Ellehammer (Henry Geijsbeek, Boeing)
- Discussion of the book, The Red Umbrella, on life during WWII through the eyes of a Danish Jewish little girl (Dave Christensen, Christensen Design Management)
Evening Entertainment: Flemming O. Behrend, Local Danish Folk Singer
For more information, see the DACR 2017 Brochure.
Information from Previous Years
For a detailed account of DACR 2016, read the article on page 5 in Volume 1 of Issue #2016/2017 of The Little Mermaid.
A Pacific Northwest tradition for over 30 years:
The NWDA’s Danish Cultural Conference has been held at Menucha Retreat & Conference Center in Corbett, Oregon for over 30 years. Enjoy a look back at highlights from previous DCC experiences, then find out about this years program and register for this fun event!
Take a look at our gallery for photos from previous years.
Claus Windelev’s drawing and Facebook post about DACR 2015: